Lining up for books at the African Writers Trust International Conference in Uganda, 2015. Left to right: Melissa Kyeyune, Jennifer Makumbi, Goretti Kyomuhendo, Jackee B Batanda, and yours truly. AWT imageOften I’m asked, besides Chinua Achebe and Amos Tutuola, which other African writers should… Read more
Okot p’Bitek might be the most remembered and known Ugandan poet, born June 7, 1931 – July 20, 1982. His most popular books: Song of Lawino (1969), Song of Ocol (1970), and Two Songs: Song of a Prisoner, Song of Malaya (1971) enjoyed a cherished position for years on Uganda’s syllabus for high… Read more
So happy to be home–Ug. Now that I have many places I call home I have to specify. And the place am at now–Femrite–is home to my writing. It’s where I did a lot of growing as a writer, so full of passion and hunger to write. Coming back feels so good; meeting new writers, young ones, and… Read more
Beatrice Lamwaka, Ugandan writer, is on this year’s Caine Prize shortlist for African Writing. The 2011 shortlist (the 12th since the first prize began) was announced in May. The winner who will be announced at a celebratory dinner at the Bodleian Library, Oxford, on Monday, 11 July, will… Read more
- Darlane Mabel K.: Amazing how you wrap up the whole world, the past,...
- Tools for expression | Writing for… what?: […] on “Of enormous wild bulls”,...
- MB: Peace, love and courage. And yes, to writing!...
- MB: Thank you! Peace, love and courage....
- MB: Thank you....
- Just a tiny, weeny bit about my father June 7, 2016
- Amiri Baraka at 75 still hitting the gong strong October 18, 2009
- The case of the missing mailbox et cetera. September 5, 2012
- Why Don’t You Carve Other Animals: Yvonne Vera July 27, 2012
- Kony 2012 is just what we needed to spin us into action March 10, 2012
- California Summer 2017 July 31, 2017
- Announcing two Readings: Sausalito Library and Adobe Books, CA. June 27, 2017
- Power to the alternate memory of history May 21, 2017
- I’m not Whining, I’m just sayin’ it’s the illusion of competence May 18, 2017
- Remind Me of What We Have May 1, 2017
Follow @midibarya on Twitter