Let me start from the middle.It was in San Francisco in July this year that I experienced life profoundly during a visit to the Minnesota Street Project, housed in three warehouses in Dogpatch district. The warehouses themselves, while they looked newly refurbished, still “betrayed” an air of… Read more
End of the semester, near end of year and the many endings of things, which also imply beginnings and the substance of gathering.
30 days on a houseboat in Sausalito, California Sunrise over my windowThe word that sums up my time is Immersion, not just my work but everything around me.A few days after I arrive, I’m all in, a sweet spot to be. Wide windows bring in light, beauty and joy. I’m wrapped in light as… Read more
In all my blogging years, this, I think is the first blog post I’m writing from a teaching perspective. I’ll make it short. I’ve always preferred to blog as a writer, reader, book reviewer, and so on, but strange events over the past few days have made me reflect on my work as a teaching… Read more
Today is the last day of class and it coincides with the passing on of my father. Exactly one year. I’m filled with warmth and gratitude for all the love and comforting presences of my friends and family. There’s this phrase playing in my head again and again: Remind me of what we have. I find… Read more
Non-stop news of death and dying this week and last week. When that starts to overwhelm I wonder why my friends are dying. Why seemingly everyone I know as a friend, family or colleague is losing a family member or friend. The air is pregnant with death I cannot wait for it to break. I anxiously… Read more
Lights at the ArboretumThis is the first Christmas without Dad. I thought I was going to be strong. I’m trying to be strong. As early as September, the time I normally book my ticket home, I realized I didn’t want to go home for the first time in many years and I knew why. Dad was my Christmas… Read more
Saturday, October 29, 2016. the theme here is vibrancyThis was supposed to be a short hike so I could return home in time for an evening party that involved spinning fires. The weather was awesome–upper 70’s with a chance to hit 80, and when you’re in the trees, it’s nice and warm since you get… Read more
Sukkoth/Sukkot/SukkahWe just celebrated the turning of mapleswith mapleshapedcookiesthe hopicecreamand appleciderIt occurred to me how it takes so little to celebrateBack home we only acknowledged big eventsI know whyBirthdays weren’t among the big events But funerals were. And… Read more
I’m driving to Craggy Gardens when a baby bear leaps out of the woods on the right side of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I’m not driving fast on the snaking, hairpin bends, so it’s easy to slow down and watch the little black bear. I’m excited because it’s the first time I’m seeing a bear…. Read more
This view, free, is worth returning to again and again. Location: Looking Glass Rock, Appalachian Mountains–via Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt. Pisgah National Forest. Pic by traveling companion.Summer is my favorite season because of all the sun to harvest. Mountains to climb. The heat doesn’t… Read more
- Darlane Mabel K.: Amazing how you wrap up the whole world, the past,...
- Tools for expression | Writing for… what?: […] on “Of enormous wild bulls”,...
- MB: Peace, love and courage. And yes, to writing!...
- MB: Thank you! Peace, love and courage....
- MB: Thank you....
- Just a tiny, weeny bit about my father June 7, 2016
- Amiri Baraka at 75 still hitting the gong strong October 18, 2009
- The case of the missing mailbox et cetera. September 5, 2012
- Why Don’t You Carve Other Animals: Yvonne Vera July 27, 2012
- Kony 2012 is just what we needed to spin us into action March 10, 2012
- End of the semester, near end of year and the many endings of things, which also imply beginnings and the substance of gathering. December 8, 2017
- George Saunders’ Endearing Fox 8, Postmodernism Fiction, Italo Calvino’s Lightness, Propositions, and so on. October 28, 2017
- California Summer 2017 July 31, 2017
- Announcing two Readings: Sausalito Library and Adobe Books, CA. June 27, 2017
- Power to the alternate memory of history May 21, 2017
Follow @midibarya on Twitter