As part of my ongoing research, I’m fascinated by how much of old and new literature is made by writers living in exile and/or the Diaspora. Not all exile is motivated by political circumstances but involuntary departure from one’s native land and… Read more
Cornell Univ gardenMy year always begins and ends in August. Overall, this has been an exceptionally abundant year. I’ve felt productive in my personal and professional life, and the challenges I’ve encountered have demonstrated that problems and… Read more
Picture taken outside Memphis library, Tennessee, May 2013 David Whyte in his book, Crossing the Unknown Sea, suggests that, “at the threshold of loss, we look back to gain a glimpse of the nature of anything we have ever held in our hands.”… Read more
Reading Rilke for me is like listening to a waterfall, coming from a far, distant and near at the same time. I took this picture of Taughannock falls in Ithaca, NY, on June 26, 2015. Since 2013, no other poet has spoken to me and demanded a… Read more
So delighted to know that this time next year I’ll take up residence in Sylt, the beautiful island in Northern Germany. So honored to be chosen. The Sylt Foundation African Writer´s Residency Award (AWRA) provides a two months stay in a… Read more
Suppose a stranger comes to your home for dinner, comes with an acquaintance that you’ve invited alongside other few guests, and they sit at your dinner table, drink wine, eat, engage in big and small talk, and at some point this stranger… Read more
I’ve decided to add a new category to my blog called “Reading Lists” that will be dedicated to all the books I’ll read in preparation for the PhD comprehensive exams. I’ve thought it a great idea to have a blog page as a way of keeping track and… Read more
- MB: You're welcome! I appreciate your taste. Rilke is...
- MB: You're funny! I haven't revisited David Diop in ...
- Tin: Amazing! and this post also refreshed my love for ...
- Tin: Hi! I never thought I'll receive a reply from you...
- MB: My pleasure. What other stories are you using for ...
- Amiri Baraka at 75 still hitting the gong strong October 18, 2009
- Why Don’t You Carve Other Animals: Yvonne Vera July 27, 2012
- The case of the missing mailbox et cetera. September 5, 2012
- Kony 2012 is just what we needed to spin us into action March 10, 2012
- ‘Give Me Room To Move My Feet’ Book Launch in Uganda December 5, 2011
- Creativity, Exile and Extraterritoriality September 30, 2015
- This year so far: Caves, Caverns & Garden of the Gods August 31, 2015
- The Liminal in Ali Smith continued July 14, 2015
- Go to the Limits of Your Longing, Rilke June 28, 2015
- 2015 Sylt Foundation African Writer’s Residency Award–Good News June 9, 2015
Follow @midibarya on Twitter