At the station. Photo by Lockie HunterOn a Sunday afternoon, I was honored to share some of my work on 103.3 Asheville FM. Here’s the recording for you to listen to at your convenience.I’ve now accepted that lizards and insects are prominent in my poetic hybrids. Imagine my delight when a few… Read more
I did not realize how spacious my head had become until my one-month stay in Uganda ended and I returned to Asheville for work. I was feeling full and had symptoms of a cold that made my head fuller. One leg of the journey, from Qatar to Philadelphia airport was 13 hours and 46 minutes in air. Add… Read more
Consider the shithole: In the anal of a caveIt does not envy the hand for being the hand, it does not envy the feet for their gift of movement, it does not strike against other body parts, but in humility and pride carries on its duty without complaint, aiding bodily functions, enabling the health… Read more
I’m at home past lunch hour. The adults are fed, the children are watching TV in the sitting room. I have a moment to myself, so I decide to sit outside and enjoy the warmth of the sun.I see a praying mantis resting on the fender of the car, then another joins. This is what happens: The holy… Read more
End of the semester, near end of year and the many endings of things, which also imply beginnings and the substance of gathering.
Let me start from the middle.It was in San Francisco in July this year that I experienced life profoundly during a visit to the Minnesota Street Project, housed in three warehouses in Dogpatch district. The warehouses themselves, while they looked newly refurbished, still “betrayed” an air of… Read more
George Saunders’ Endearing Fox 8, Postmodernism Fiction, Italo Calvino’s Lightness, Propositions, and so on.
I have been teaching a lot of foxes this semesterand murder.I should say that by now I shouldn’t really be surprised how my workshop classes end up experimenting with murder, mystery and light-heartedness, yet still, I’m often amazed by how much beauty and brokenness emerges from the stories we… Read more
30 days on a houseboat in Sausalito, California Sunrise over my windowThe word that sums up my time is Immersion, not just my work but everything around me.A few days after I arrive, I’m all in, a sweet spot to be. Wide windows bring in light, beauty and joy. I’m wrapped in light as… Read more
Friends and book lovers, I’m wrapping up my one-month residence in California with two readings: One at Sausalito Library (Wednesday June 28 at 7pm) and the second at Adobe Books in San Francisco (Thursday June 29 at 7 pm). See the details below. It will be my pleasure to have your presence…. Read more
Do Not Say We Have Nothing, is the most ambitious novel I’ve so far read this year. Madeleine Thien’s 2016 Man Booker finalist is not only ambitious in its narrative structure but also in its memorialization and retelling of the Cultural Revolution of Mao Zedong’s communist regime. Lovers of fat… Read more
In all my blogging years, this, I think is the first blog post I’m writing from a teaching perspective. I’ll make it short. I’ve always preferred to blog as a writer, reader, book reviewer, and so on, but strange events over the past few days have made me reflect on my work as a teaching… Read more
- MB: I appreciate your feedback, Janice. You're a very...
- Janice Q: Dear Mildred, My enjoyment from reading your po...
- Darlane Mabel K.: Amazing how you wrap up the whole world, the past,...
- Tools for expression | Writing for… what?: […] on “Of enormous wild bulls”,...
- MB: Peace, love and courage. And yes, to writing!...
- Just a tiny, weeny bit about my father June 7, 2016
- Amiri Baraka at 75 still hitting the gong strong October 18, 2009
- The case of the missing mailbox et cetera. September 5, 2012
- Why Don’t You Carve Other Animals: Yvonne Vera July 27, 2012
- Kony 2012 is just what we needed to spin us into action March 10, 2012
- Glad Tidings–a good start and other events lineup January 31, 2018
- Form, Space and Mindfulness January 19, 2018
- In Praise of Shitholes January 15, 2018
- Sacred Delight or Eating Husbands December 28, 2017
- End of the semester, near end of year and the many endings of things, which also imply beginnings and the substance of gathering. December 8, 2017
Follow @midibarya on Twitter