the road homeThis post is about chickens, cows and dogs. It is dedicated to my family and composed of threads that my siblings and I have come up with. Sometime back I wrote about how we remember, inspired by the way memory and imagination work to… Read more
At a library in MemphisWhere did reading take you this year? is how goodreads posed my 2015 in books. So I’m going to share my reading list which is likely to extend into 2016, and ask you dear reader to share yours too.Making and exchanging… Read more
I did not read The Unbearable Lightness of Being but watched the movie instead. As all movies adapted from great books, I was left wondering what I had missed. Later, when I had a chance to read The Curtain, I underlined almost every sentence. I… Read more
As part of my ongoing research, I’m fascinated by how much of old and new literature is made by writers living in exile and/or the Diaspora. Not all exile is motivated by political circumstances but involuntary departure from one’s native land and… Read more
Cornell Univ gardenMy year always begins and ends in August. Overall, this has been an exceptionally abundant year. I’ve felt productive in my personal and professional life, and the challenges I’ve encountered have demonstrated that problems and… Read more
Picture taken outside Memphis library, Tennessee, May 2013 David Whyte in his book, Crossing the Unknown Sea, suggests that, “at the threshold of loss, we look back to gain a glimpse of the nature of anything we have ever held in our hands.”… Read more
Reading Rilke for me is like listening to a waterfall, coming from a far, distant and near at the same time. I took this picture of Taughannock falls in Ithaca, NY, on June 26, 2015. Since 2013, no other poet has spoken to me and demanded a… Read more
- MB: Oh my, it gets even better! Thank you. Time to plu...
- Darlane Mabel: My God sis never read nonfiction this interesting....
- IQra: Beautifully written with so much truth. I wish our...
- MB: You're welcome! I appreciate your taste. Rilke is...
- MB: You're funny! I haven't revisited David Diop in ...
- Amiri Baraka at 75 still hitting the gong strong October 18, 2009
- Why Don’t You Carve Other Animals: Yvonne Vera July 27, 2012
- The case of the missing mailbox et cetera. September 5, 2012
- Kony 2012 is just what we needed to spin us into action March 10, 2012
- ‘Give Me Room To Move My Feet’ Book Launch in Uganda December 5, 2011
- What we remember: chickens, cows, dogs. January 1, 2016
- Changing My Mind and Other Readings December 17, 2015
- On Milan Kundera–Ignorance, The Odyssey, and Teju Cole October 31, 2015
- Creativity, Exile and Extraterritoriality September 30, 2015
- This year so far: Caves, Caverns & Garden of the Gods August 31, 2015
Follow @midibarya on Twitter