Suppose a stranger comes to your home for dinner, comes with an acquaintance that you’ve invited alongside other few guests, and they sit at your dinner table, drink wine, eat, engage in big and small talk, and at some point this stranger… Read more
I’ve decided to add a new category to my blog called “Reading Lists” that will be dedicated to all the books I’ll read in preparation for the PhD comprehensive exams. I’ve thought it a great idea to have a blog page as a way of keeping track and… Read more
I’m inclined to experiments in reading. I will sometimes read five books concurrently, and to avoid mixing the stories, I will select two books in poetry, two in fiction, and one nonfiction. The mind can handle an evolutionary biology text… Read more
Here’s a tribute to Black History Month first published by Zocalo. It’s a mini account of my observations and experiences in Birmingham, my first time to visit the Civil Rights Museum, the 16th Street Baptist Church, and meeting the god of… Read more
This month I’ve burrowed into old epics: Gilgamesh, Sundiata, Genji, Beowulf, the Iliad, the Odyssey and so on, to reacquaint myself and figure out how these ancient literatures are sustained in contemporary writing. I had forgotten how funny and… Read more
Fanny Howe’s essay, “Bewilderment” is popular among writers. The word itself has a magical and mysterious charm.Visiting home after a long stay away, it has occurred to me that what I am seeing and experiencing is nothing short of bewilderment…. Read more
the palm-wine tapper up the palm-tree tapping wine Recently I reread Amos Tutuola’s classic: The Palm-Wine Drinkard at the same time I was revisiting Cervantes’ Don Quixote, and was surprised to see how close, how similar the two books are…. Read more
- Aissatou: Ha, I've been a very bad writer my sister! I've ...
- MB: Yes, my dear sister, it's out in the world lookin...
- Aissatou: Dear sister, Is that true? Can we finally celeb...
- MB: Thanks, T...
- TJH: Very moving....
- Amiri Baraka at 75 still hitting the gong strong October 18, 2009
- The case of the missing mailbox et cetera. September 5, 2012
- Kony 2012 is just what we needed to spin us into action March 10, 2012
- After the Tsunami June 10, 2008
- ‘Give Me Room To Move My Feet’ Book Launch in Uganda December 5, 2011
- There But For The, Ali Smith May 19, 2015
- Ali Smith: “How to be both” and “Girl Meets Boy.” April 30, 2015
- Experiments in Reading: the thief in Teju Cole and Amos Tutuola’s books March 30, 2015
- Birmingham Postcard and The Promised Land February 28, 2015
- Sorcery, kingdom business and the Epic of Sundiata January 31, 2015
Follow @midibarya on Twitter